I’ve been talking the past few days about some negative beliefs people hold about their memory abilities.
Today I’m taking a break from that theme to share with you an interesting YouTube video I found. It’s an interview conducted by Peter Heinrich with Dr. Horst Sperber.
It seems that memory expert Dr. Sperber has been a strong force in bringing mnemonics to German language schools.
For that reason, I’m very glad to have learned about his work.
After all, why don’t they teach memory techniques in school? is by far one of the most common questions I receive.
But we need to go further. Why is that they don’t teach memory techniques for language learning in schools? Bilingualism is scientifically proven to be good for the brain.
From the little research I’ve been able to conduct since I found this video, it seems that his focus is on using visualizations without the use of locations. That does not seem particularly wise when memorizing vocabulary en masse, but it does work for some people.
I also don’t know the extent to which his techniques apply only to German, or which might be universally applicable (or at least adaptable).
In any case, I’ll update you when I know more about his approach.
In the meantime, this interview is conducted in German. Don’t worry if you don’t know the language. The video includes English subtitles so anyone can follow along.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this video:
* How Dr. Sperber became involved with mnemonics, including how astounded he felt after reading his first book on the topic.
* Why he felt the need to incorporate memorization techniques into his language teaching methodologies as soon as possible.
* How he managed to reach 10, 000 teachers with his mnemonic methods.
* How students who used mnemonics score 94% on an exam versus the 60% success rate of those who used rote learning – quite a difference!
*Why you need to make your associative images as “bizarre” as possible.
* Why mnemonics should be a fundamental part of all language learning.
I would add that using something like The Freedom Journal will help many language learning students who are using mnemonics.
Here’s the link to the video. Enjoy!
If you’re learning German, check out How to Learn and Memorize German Vocabulary. These tips will help you a great deal – and quickly.