In this episode of the Magnetic Memory Method Podcast, Luca Lampariello treats us once again to a focused array of language learning secrets that you can put to use today in your foreign language study efforts. Tune in now and you’ll learn:
* Why you need to train your working memory (and exactly what working memory is) so that you can make use of the best parts of your mind when working with languages.
* How to link your ideas together so that they flow naturally together.
* Why you should never drink the night before translating a speech by Obama.
* The amazing reason why people fail at the study of new languages and how to avoid it.
* How to develop competence in your own native tongue in order to achieve elegance in another language.
* Why it’s not about what you “know” in your mother tongue, but what you can “do” with it that matters.
* Why a deep knowledge of the culture and country of the language you’re studying helps you with learning the language.
* The importance of understanding irony, puns and jokes and why this can be much more critical than having piles of vocabulary and grammar rules in your memory.
* The absolutely best conditions for language learning.
* The difference between internal and external motivation and how to use this understanding to excel with language learning.
* Why rote learning is the number one mistake that language learners make (and what to do instead).
* How to build a network that will let you see how the syntax of a language works so that you can build sentences with greater ease.
* When to add quantity to your pool of foreign language vocabulary.
* Why building a language core is like building a spider web to which new vocabulary sticks (even if you’re not yet a polyglot).
* Some of the exact ways that Luca makes his mind learn languages much more quickly, the exact same techniques you can adopt for yourself.
* Why you should never be prejudiced about a different culture or be seduced by generalizations such as “the French are snobbish.”
* Why languages belong to no one and are only ever used, never owned.
* Luca’s feelings about how English sounds to him from his perspective as a polyglot with Italian as his mother tongue.
* Exactly what the “bucket effect” is and how to use its power in your language learning efforts.
* The “combinatory logic” behind syntax and how to use this to understand the “gist” of what other people are saying as you build towards to fluency.
* The relationship between vocabulary, circles and layers that move between objective, subject and literate levels of language learning.
* Why building “language islands” is the best way to prepare yourself for exploring the depths of the “language oceans” that characterize all of the world’s many modes of speaking.
* Why even a highly established English-speaker like Luca always watches English movies with the English subtitles on (and why you should too).
* How to give your brain points-of-reference using a simple notebook.
* The real reason why second-language speakers have accents.
* How to understand the “jogger’s high” effect when it comes to language learning and how to avoid its opposite, “jogger’s depression.”
* Why fear is one of the hugest problems that language learners face and how to overcome it.
* … and much, much more.
After listening to this interview, please be sure to go back and listen to the previous interview with Luca, titled “Luca Lampariello Talks About Language As A Net.” Here’s also Luca talking about how to master any language.
I’d also like to recommend that you check out Luca’s website, The Polyglot Dream. There you can find links to Luca’s Facebook, Twitter and YouTube offerings, all of which offer you amazing language learning ideas, inspiration and dedicated training.
As always, feel free to get in touch if you have any questions, and …
Keep Yourself Magnetic!
For More Language Learning Resources … Check Out: